[TI ASM] TASM 3.2 Compiling Error

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

nepmarauder

[TI ASM] TASM 3.2 Compiling Error

Post by nepmarauder »

After working with TIPower and cz80 for sometime, I have decided to fill in the blanks, and learn the finer points of assembly. I set up TASM and tested it with the helloworld.z80 program from Learn Assembly in 28 Days. Every time I get the error: No END directive before EOF. I looked up the error in the 28 Days tutorial and related some knowledge from C++ compiling by placing a newline after .end and by placing two .ends at the end of the program. Unfortunately, it still won't compile. Any ideas?
IT'S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!
magicdanw

Post by magicdanw »

Did you try doing a period before the first end, but not the second?

.end
end

I've seen it in source files, and they compile fine on my computer.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Yeah, magicdanw, is right. That will work.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

You only need ".end". The second line, "end", is just to ensure that you have a newline character at the end of the source file (otherwise TASM complains).

As long as you have a newline after ".end" you should be fine. :)
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

After adding in the newline and fixing my b_call errors, it compiled perfectly. Thanks a lot guys. Once again, MaxCoderz saves the day.
IT'S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

TASM has a lot more of these "inconveniences", as an alternate assembler I would suggest benryves's assembler called Brass.
Just edit your batch file you use to make your programs and change "tasm {parameter list}" into "brass %1.z80" and happines greetz you :mrgreen: [link]

Don't worry, your TASM source files will compile correctly under brass without any further modifications
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

*cough* I would actually recommend SPASM as a substitute to Brass and TASM. One reason is because of an already powerful assembler, and the second reason is because it is getting improved every day, and you can even suggest your own improvements. *cough*
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

HAHA xD :mrgreen: well, ok there are 2 alternatives to TASM, choose whatever you want, I chose for Brass as it's made by benryves (home to MaxCoderz and a personal Hero of mine ;)
*stabs Halifax in the back* ^^
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Halifax wrote:*cough* I would actually recommend SPASM as a substitute to Brass and TASM. One reason is because of an already powerful assembler, and the second reason is because it is getting improved every day, and you can even suggest your own improvements. *cough*
although he should probably release improvements faster, not to mention finish Zelda faster ^^
Image Image Image
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

His improvements are available on the bleeding edge Liazon ;)

You can build your own SPASM 2 from the SVN