[ASM] Assembly Programming

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Is ASM hard to master?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 15

ProphetsDementia

[ASM] Assembly Programming

Post by ProphetsDementia »

This may or may not be a valid post.
However, I must know.

Is assembly has hard as it sounds and looks?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Asm is not hard to master at all. You do require a 'can-do' attitude though.

If you prepare correctly, gather lots of reading material and try not to 'rush' through it, you should be fine.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Yeah Assembly really isn't that hard once you learn it. And plus the benefits and joys and experiences are well worth it once you learn it.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

From my experience, assembly usually does exactly what it should. I still don't understand the square root routines though..

It might be a little hard to get started, but once you know the basics it's pretty easy.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

No, it's very simple (going by a very literal definition of simple) and does exactly what it says on the tin.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

It helps if you have lots of experience in working with binary data before taking on ASM.
Then for a while, you'll be at the "look at other people's code and rearrange it" stage. Then you do that enough, then you can write your own.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

ASM is not hard, but you must have the right attitude, the right mindset,... not many people have these standards (I kinda had)

you'll spend the most time understanding how things work in binary, learn the common logic, once you have that, asm is easy, from then it's just about learning "tricks"
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

@Dwedit: I find that very hard to look at other peoples code first and then go on to making your own code. I tried to read ionputsprite when I first started and had a brain meltdown. So I programmed for about a 1 1/2 years and came back and it was easier then I could have every imagined. Same with Jim_e's improved/your original tilemapper.

I always find it useful that if you don't understand the code at first sight then go through and trace it by inputting fake data and seeing what happens. That is what makes assembly easy because its not like basic where you can have like:

length(sub((2A-1)+1), .5B - abs(2A+1)))

or something like that. You take assembly one command at a time.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

you can't have

Code: Select all

length(sub((2A-1)+1), .5B - abs(2A+1))) 
sub('s first arg should be a string, should have more than 1 arg, and length( doesn't take 2 args, and doing math like this (making a substring and calculating it's length) is quite.. odd.. to say the least.

But I get your point, and I agree with you. (I also had a bit of a brain meltdown when I looked at existing code before trying to learn something simple, I would have been here a year earlier if I hadn't :P )

ps: you had 1 too many closing brackets
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

"or something like that" Yeah I tried to make it as true as possible but I waas trying to get done and I just didn't really want to think of how to make it real. I just know it looks like that and when I read Metroid II I died