[TI-XXXX] Moving a character through a map

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I just love that this guy hasn't even bothered to come back and check on the results of his post. Kinda pointless, don'tcha think?
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

or he came back and didnt see any answer to his "question" (really there is no answer to his question..) and then didnt bother to post..

by the way, i normally temporarily change a tile in a tilemap to the character tile (save origional tile number somewhere) and later i would change it back and do the same with the next location, sometimes i get lazy and just draw a tilemap and then overwrite a sprite where the character is to be..
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well perhaps his net access is limited or that he was scared off.

Tomorrow i guess ill see if i can write a small tutorial on moving a sprite through a tilemap.

I remember it took me a while to figure out what tilemaps actually were :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, I did refer him to the freely available revsoft tilemapper, as he did ask for some code.

If anyone is thinking of making a guide to making calculator games, I think that would be a great thing, as that's what most people write anyway. Like how to use a tilemapper, store savegames, display text, have a HUD, etc...
It would probably help new asm programmers to get started.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

tilemaping might not always be the obvious solution you know?

Like for example, if you have no experience with raycasting, you wouldn't know the first thing about how to move the camera through a 3 D world, let alone generate it.
Image Image Image
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

ppl like me who want to think of the code themselves without having to do too much math..
use this: http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~mrmeanie/algos.htm
if anyone bothered to look through the "source" of my BASIC 3d wireframer they would notice i used exactly those calculations, but it took me a month to get rotation work and guess what.. i backed up an older version and lost the newer one... along with the good rotations..
pitty, but not as bad as your gf suiciding, which my gf did.. bad luck i guess..
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

ok go on..
has that guy who started this thread been back even once yet?
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

nope.
no offense to him, but he seemed kinda' new to this sort of thing.
probably a 7th grader or something.
I think, therefore iMac
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

also no offence to him, but i agree
by the way, moving a character through a map isnt one of hte hardest things to do, making a map to begin with is somewhat more difficult, and once you have one the character shouldnt be a problem..
not so much of a problem anyway, but if you can make a tile mapper you can also get a character to move through it.
CCLoserFJ

Post by CCLoserFJ »

K...i'm pretty new to this programming stuff...TIBASIC for TI84SEis what i'm using...could u please dumb it down for me on how to make a charachter (sp?) move smoothly through a map...kinda like mario w/out scrolling? pweeese? :D

if no reply tonight i'll brb in a day or so

and no, i dont double post :).
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

There is a little bit of work that goes into making a tilemap/sprite walking demo. There is a reasonably optimised xLIB example that ships with the release found at ticalc.org

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 35907.html

I suggest maybe playing around with that example, changing the graphics, messing with keypresses and stuff.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Here are some ideas for a game tutorial:
- Explain tilemaps (8bit restricted, fully scrolling, animated tiles, ...)
- How to use tilemaps (I tought there was only one way to draw tilemaps,... and that is redraw everything... but after wandering these forums I think there are more... (not sure))
- Explain how to link tilemaps together (using a number that refers to another tilemap for every side you can reach)
- How to store other data (list of npc, enemies, enemy projectiles (thinking of zelda)) [This is really easy with my event handler]
- How to code animations (like in Golden Sun (GBA) and verdante forest (calc) during battles) [could be done with a script and an event handler]
- How to use and code an event handler (I have made one, just got it working (all thanx to this forum and wikiti)!!!!! :D :D :D , ask me if I should post it, (it's quit long for a post...))
- How to save progress in a rpg, (using "markers" I think it's called)
- AI
- .... I may think of more
It would be a GODlike tutorial if it has the same quality as 83pa28d (w/o the errors tough...)

If something is not clear, please ask