AppVars

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

AppVars

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

First off, new to forums, how do you set the type, or am I just supposed to type it in myself?

I am venturing into asm programming for the first time to create a Pokemon APP. (See topic in project announcements for more info.) I need to know how to create an AppVar in asm, using an APP, and how to store and retrieve data, so the users can save. (I'll also probably use it to create world map editors, data testers, and such.) Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, on a lighter note, other than the limitation on displaying text to the screen, what coding differences are there between APPs and regular asm programs? (I ask because I will probably turn to regular asm guides for help.)

Thanks a bunch!

*EDIT* oh yeah! This is on the TI-83 Plus. It would also be nice if it were useable on the 84 plus as well.

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Also, on a lighter note, other than the limitation on displaying text to the screen, what coding differences are there between APPs and regular asm programs? (I ask because I will probably turn to regular asm guides for help.)
Not so much a limitation on writing text to the screen, it's just that when you call a romcall, it bankswitches the app out.
Other limitaitons of apps is that you can not use self modifying code, since you can't write directly to ROM. You also can't writeback to the program.

The TI84+ series is identical to the TI83+ series from a programming perspective, they run the same binaries.

All the TI8x's can pretty much be programmed the same way, the only differences are screen width, and presence or absence of archive.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Cool, thanks. BTW, you are the same one from gbadev, right?

On the ROMcall, this just means that if I need a piece of memory passed to the ROMcall, it needs to be in RAM, right?

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I'd like to know how to make an APP var too. I think I might start doing nostub programs since I might use RGP.

edit: appvars can be accessed by normal ASM programs right?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Yes, you can access appvars from programs just about the same way you access a program.

thegamefreak: A good thing to remember is that the 83+/84+ have a great deal less archive memory than their Silver Edition counterparts. A large application like the one you're planning will need to be multipage and it me even be too large for a regular 83+/84+.
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

http://joepnet.com/hosted/maxcoderz/php ... .php?t=312

I knew this was asked before. Post if you have questions. :)

Edit: I think you type in the type yourself *pokes forum mod*
Updated sdk83pguide.pdf link: http://education.ti.com/educationportal ... 83_84.html Click 'Downloads' to the left and select 'Guide Books.' The Developer Guide and System Routines Guide'll prove handy.
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

There is also a bunch of stuff at http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/asmresc.htm

You might check it out as well...
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Thanks for the info. I'll definately look into that.

I am aware of the memory differences in both calcs. If I remember correctly, the TI-83 Plus can hold 160k, meaning that at most my app can be 10 pages. I don't want it to fill up the whole thing, so I will definately be using compression of some sort down the line. I also plan to use one of my pages (first prolly) for code and all the other pages for data. My real goal is to see just how small I can make the thing. But my better goal is to get it down right.

Thanks again!

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Exaclty, but I recommend you keep it below 10 pages if you can. I know I'd hate to not have both this AND Zelda on my calculator.