Denver legalised pot possesion

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

haha bluefire. I like that.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

CompWiz wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Yes, but who uses them responsibly? You get addicted to them, and waste all of your money and time on the drugs, sometimes ruining your relationships in the process. Drugs have messed up more lives than they have helped.
So has smoking or alcohol, yet both of those are legal.
Did I ever say I agreed with what drugs the government allows? The only reason that cigaretts are legal is because of all the money the government gets from them.
I doubt the government gets money from Big Tobacco, its just that alcohol and tobacco are socially acceptable drugs. Plus, there is more chaos involved in disallowing established drugs than allowing new ones. Ever heard of Prohibition? 20th and 21st amendments, were they? Leave the booze and cigs alone, they only hurt the people who use them irresponsibly, just like curling irons and cars.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

threefingeredguy wrote:
CompWiz wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:So has smoking or alcohol, yet both of those are legal.
Did I ever say I agreed with what drugs the government allows? The only reason that cigaretts are legal is because of all the money the government gets from them.
I doubt the government gets money from Big Tobacco, its just that alcohol and tobacco are socially acceptable drugs. Plus, there is more chaos involved in disallowing established drugs than allowing new ones. Ever heard of Prohibition? 20th and 21st amendments, were they? Leave the booze and cigs alone, they only hurt the people who use them irresponsibly, just like curling irons and cars.
Even if the government doesn't get money directly from Big Tobacco, it does have a huge(like 100% or more) tax on cigaretts. That is a lot of money.

So, cigs only hurt the people who use them irresponsibly? Never heard of second hand smoke? Also, are you saying that if you use cigaretts responsibly, they won't hurt you? Actually, they are bad for you at any amount. it doesn't matter if you "smoke responsibly" or not, it will still kill you.

Booze causes many people, like wives and children, to be abused, whether they use it or not. It doesn't just hurt those who use it irresponsibly.

And if you used a car responsibly all your life, you could still get killed in an instant by a drunk driver in another car that runs into yours.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Jbirk

Post by Jbirk »

necro wrote:
AlienCC wrote:Seems I have broken one of my own rules:

Having said that I will post no more in this thread, I've already said everything I need to in my previous 2 posts.

--AlienCC
The only thing worse than an idiot is one who thinks every one else is one...and then post spam pictures procliaming such. If that is all you can say, well, I would be glad to see you in here no more as you obviously lack the ability to make valid arguments as opposed to attacks.
-------------------------------------
Oh, here is some info on MJs effects:
Â¥ mild euphoria
Â¥ relaxation
Â¥ increased sociability
Â¥ heightened sensory perception
Â¥ increased consumption of high carbohydrate foods (but not an increase in appetite)
Â¥ loss of sense of time
Â¥ perceptual changes
Â¥ depersonalization (feelings of loss of personal identity or feelings of being different, strange or unreal)
--Some people experience unpleasant effects with marijuana. These unpleasant effects are more common at higher doses or in naive users.
--They include:
Â¥ sensation of "high" anxiety
Â¥ tension
Â¥ confusion
Â¥ panic
Marijuana appears to impair all cognitive processes associated with learning, with the exception of abstract thinking and vocabulary.
http://www-health.concordia.ca/healthEd ... #MARIJUANA
and here is a good site with marked sources
http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html

I don't know. Nerco, it looks like you are the one who ran out of things to say because you are the idiot here. I actually enjoyed reading what AlienCC had to say. Besides, he is right about dealing with idiots. They do tend to bring you to their level then beat you over the head with experience.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

There's lots of unhealthy things that are legal, there's lots of unhealthy things that are illegal, there's lots of healthy things that are legal, and there's lots of healthy things that are illegal.

Unhealthy things like cigarettes and alcohol are legal because lots of people wanted them to be a long time ago.

Those healthy things aren't illegal because they're unhealthy. They're illegal because a lot of people want them to be illegal. And that fear is something indoctrined by society from the day you're born. Fear is something irrational that can't be cured by lowered crime rates alone. We need to stop being so damned afraid of eachother and realise we don't really want to restrain other's freedoms.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

i dont think necro's an idiot, but that saying is so true :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Leumas
Extreme Poster

Post by Leumas »

* I am sorry for this but this seems VERY funny to me*
@ Necro: What is it with you and marrige???????? You are obsessed with this topic and brought it out as an example which you haven't proven is the majority (and by the "logic" of this topic means that you are "wrong" since you have NO hard evidence that is makes life "worse", since worse is subjective)

I am going to stop arguing points that have all ready been made and are just being ignored.

I will return to comment when there is something new that is worth commenting on.
My only question about the effects of drugs is "if something is illegal how can the neccisary random studies be accurately conducted to give an accurate medical view on the drug and its influences?"
There is no place like 127.0.0.1
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Concerning studies on drugs.
No drugs have been illegal for ever, nor are they all illegal everywhere, and law isn't keeping people from learning from and about drugs.

Lots of drugs where once legal and actively used in psychotherapy so a huge lot of information was gathered about their effects. There's even a bunch of information about some older drugs recorded in history books and other historic artifacts.

Also, not all drugs are illegal all over the world. Though I'm sure scientific laboratories can easily get a permit to study any drug they want, there are countries where studying some or certain drugs that are illegal in the US isn't a problem at all. And there are places where drugs are actively used in shamanic rites and have been for a long time, so western medicine can learn a lot from them as well.

Furthermore, drugs being illegal isn't stopping more than a handfull of people from taking them. (hence why there won't be total chaos when drugs are made legal) So there's a lot of experienced users for just about any drug out there who can give information about it's effects for (online) knowledge bases or studies.

However, there are still studies with questionable conclusions,or the articles in the news about those studies don't tell you enough to determine wether the study is reliable. Some studies for example are conducted on such a small sample of users (less than a dozen even) that the effects might as well have been completely random. This concerns both studies on positive aspects to certain drugs as well as studies on negative aspects. Just don't believe everything with the word "study" or "scientific" on it, or at least not just because it has either of them on it. Especially if it's in the news(paper).

Because this is happening anyway, regardless of wether the drugs are legal or not, they should be made legal. It isn't going to spark a lot of people into using them, but it will make more education available about them, improve said education, remove taboos and stop criminalising people who are doing things to their mind they should be free to do.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane Wizard wrote: Furthermore, drugs being illegal isn't stopping more than a handfull of people from taking them. (hence why there won't be total chaos when drugs are made legal) So there's a lot of experienced users for just about any drug out there who can give information about it's effects for (online) knowledge bases or studies.
Oh, really. So, pot is almost as common as, say, alcohol, or cigaretts? A lot more people would use it if it were legal. It would be more commonly available without resorting to illegal secret sales, and people could use it more openly, where others would see it and be influenced through peer pressure to do it. I could go on. Making it legal would cause many people to start using it. I don't see how allowing more drugs in the society would make it better anyway. I mean, sure, there's the prohibition argument that outlawing drugs just makes more people break the law. But, imagine for a moment, a society where no one used drugs. less money and time would be wasted, and could be put to more constructive purposes. Also, health would improve along with average lifespan. Also, drug use can make people more depressed, and addictions can waste their money and make them poor. The society would be more productive, and less children and women would be abused. Wouldn't that be nice?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Actually making something illegal makes people want more of it- quite ironic isn't it? What i want to say is that drugs should be used for therapeutical purposes. If a person abuses a drug, that's their problem. Better for the drug companies and economies I guess. However I would like to stress certain types of drugs should be kept illegal or closely monitored. Drugs like the date rape drug, or any other drug that would cause damage to unwilling peoples. Would I ban Marijuana? Yes. Just as I would ban cigarettes. It's fine if you use it by yourself but in these cases you expose the drugs to other people as well as yourself.

And please guys- a little civility in the board?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

there is no need to ban pot cuz its already illegal. i dont like drugs for the fact that there are stupid people out there who do stupid things, then refuse to take responsiblity for it, claim it was the drugs fault. im fine with people doing a few drugs responsibly, as long as its not so serious that their family has to constantly worry about them. that said, i wonder why alcohol isnt illegal and pot is.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

@ crzyrbl:
crzyrbl wrote:there is no need to ban pot cuz its already illegal. i dont like drugs for the fact that there are stupid people out there who do stupid things, then refuse to take responsiblity for it, claim it was the drugs fault. im fine with people doing a few drugs responsibly, as long as its not so serious that their family has to constantly worry about them. that said, i wonder why alcohol isnt illegal and pot is.
Why alcohol isn't illegal and pot is

1) because alcohol doesn't have as many long term affects on the body

2)
Arcane Wizard wrote:Unhealthy things like cigarettes and alcohol are legal because lots of people wanted them to be a long time ago.

Those healthy things aren't illegal because they're unhealthy. They're illegal because a lot of people want them to be illegal.
Also the government is trying to get rid of smoking, why would they legalize pot (a form of smoking that is more dangerous)?

3) alcohol is a known food, and is commonly used as an ingredient in many foods. Pot is not.
(:lol: LOL I just made another funny)

for instance:
brandy----is called for in Gingerbread
white wine & sherry----is called for in many chicken recepies
vinegar (which is a form of wine, most forms today being non-alcholic) is used on many foods

It also has to do somewhat with modern customs.
-------------

would anyone agree with me that this topic is getting a little too repetitive?

it was also talked about earlier:
http://joepnet.com/hosted/maxcoderz/php ... 40&start=0

[starts off as smoking, but quickly turns into Alcohol .vs. pot]
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

LOL HOmestar! :D wan't some of that Pot Cake I made for you?? :roll:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:Furthermore, drugs being illegal isn't stopping more than a handfull of people from taking them. (hence why there won't be total chaos when drugs are made legal) So there's a lot of experienced users for just about any drug out there who can give information about it's effects for (online) knowledge bases or studies.
Oh, really. So, pot is almost as common as, say, alcohol, or cigaretts? A lot more people would use it if it were legal. It would be more commonly available without resorting to illegal secret sales, and people could use it more openly, where others would see it and be influenced through peer pressure to do it. I could go on. Making it legal would cause many people to start using it.
Yes, really, and I never said pot is almost as common as alcohol and cigarettes. Lifetime use of drugs increases slightly when they're legalised. However, not everybody wants to use drugs and them being legalised isn't going to change that. (people think? orly? yarly!)

In fact, drug use in the US is substantialy higher than in the Netherlands where many soft drugs are legal for 30 years now.

Furthermore, drug use has further declined in the Netherlands for the past few years.

Crime in the Netherlands is also lower than in the United States.
CompWiz wrote:I don't see how allowing more drugs in the society would make it better anyway. I mean, sure, there's the prohibition argument that outlawing drugs just makes more people break the law.
Less crime (lower profit margins for illegal manufacturing) and poverty (lower costs), less violence, more freedom, and more income for the government (taxes) to spend on education and health.
CompWiz wrote:But, imagine for a moment, a society where no one used drugs. less money and time would be wasted, and could be put to more constructive purposes. Also, health would improve along with average lifespan. Also, drug use can make people more depressed, and addictions can waste their money and make them poor. The society would be more productive, and less children and women would be abused. Wouldn't that be nice?
Drugs are substances, drugs are medicine, medicine are drugs. There is no magical factor that makes some substances "good" and others "bad". Cocaine was a pain killer (and more). Marihuana can be used against nausia (and more) and according to recent studies delays cancer growth in the lungs. LSD and many other hallucinogenic drugs where and are used in psychotherapy. Cough syrup is a drug and is also used recreatively. I imagine such a society to be a very crazy, and mostly suffering or dead society. No that wouldn't be very nice.

A lot of money and time is put to creative and constructive work under the influence or inspiration of drugs. This should not be illegal.

Drugs can make people depressed, and drugs can make people happy beyond anything else we know off, beyond anything you've ever experienced. This being illegal prevents proper education and therefor proper use, legalising makes good use further possible.

Many people's physical and mental health is improved thanks to drugs. Illegal drugs are expensive, even for medicinal use. Legalising drugs improves this possibility and allows more and better studies to discover new possiblities to improve health.

Somebody who is high on mushrooms simply isn't going to abuse a woman or child. Definately not on MDMA. A drunk person is far more likely to.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

currahee wrote:LOL HOmestar! :D wan't some of that Pot Cake I made for you?? :roll:
nope... I dope smoke
:dead: :dead: :dead:
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.