getting mp3 player.. is this a good choice?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Anyway. I'll throw my opinion in - yes, it's a good player. Stay the hell away from Apple if you have more sense than money or want a player for listening to music with rather than looking cool (they are horribly overpriced and the sound quality isn't great. They look pretty, and are supposedly "easy to use", but I don't know how any other DAP is difficult to use...).
Creative and iRiver players are great. The Sony ones aren't bad, but being Sony they probably fall apart after a few weeks (I'm on the 3rd set of these Sony headphones - the last two randomly stopped working in the right ear, the cable has melted on these - I'd use different ones, if only the sound quality wasn't so awesome).
My 30GB Creative Xtra can store all my music (192kbps WMA, nice quality) on it, has great sound quality. Sure, it's a chunky box (anodized aluminium, but still a chunky grey box) because it uses a standard laptop hard drive, but I didn't buy it for the coolness. I bought it because I love my music. :)
Not to mention my first one was from the faulty batch with the headphone jack problem, so I sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one, new headphones, an extra charger and a spare battery... all for free (well, ignoring the £4 postage to them in the first place). <3 Creative Labs.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Or how about the Archos Gmini XS200? Smaller than iPod (only slightly bigger than a Mini), 20 gigs, $200. That's five times the capacity of a Mini, and only slightly bigger, for the same price.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Actually, no. NOT completely depleting the battery before recharging it is not good for the cell. It'll wear out faster or about the same as fully discharging it.
A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
EDIT ipods need to be replaced every 500
A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity after 400 full charge and discharge cycles

Hm... it appears both of us were wrong (in your favor). Yes, I can admit when I'm wrong... I'm still trying to figure out where I got 800 from. Meh, 3 1/4 years. Good enough for me. By then I'll be in college, and making like, important decisions and stuff :roll:.
sound quality isn't great
What can I say? You aren't the only person to suggest that. I must have horrible ears or something, 'cuz it sounds fine to me... And I don't mean that sarcasticly.

Darn, can't argue with Dysfunction, I'd never seen that one before...
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Then apparantly they don't use standard Lion batteries, as how I stated is how they work, for the most part.
ImageImage
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

I have actually had the same experience as you, especially with the DS (don't know what batter type that is though). Like I said, I'm just taking it from apple's mouth...
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

have one of those and a ipod, i really like how i use a single AAA baterie,but i love the storage for the ipod.
get the creative for 1gb. i have a 512 and it is fine, if you really need space you can record into wma.....
... yes, it's a good player. Stay the hell away from Apple if you have more sense than money or want a player for listening to music with rather than looking cool (they are horribly overpriced and the sound quality isn't great. They look pretty, and are supposedly "easy to use", but I don't know how any other DAP is difficult to use...
well i agree with both of you. yes, i know the creative is a good player, but ipods do have pros as well as cons. the 20g ipods have extremely well quality and have a high rate of kbps... cant remember though. only problem between me and the ipod is... it costs alot, and i dont like mailing things back to the company to get things replaced, and i dont like extra costs after i already paid for it in the first place.

also, some of the other mp3 players mentioned are either too costly or theyre only sold online.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Meh, I'm mildly suspicious of a company and their alleged good sound quality if they refuse to release the specs. The iPod sounds quite flat to my ears, even without the stock headphones (the iPod stock headphones are very poor, as you'd expect from a freebie - but then again, all stock headphones suck, so grab some nice ones - Sony Fontopia buds ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 64-6331634 ) are excellent sound quality though very crap build quality, so be careful and keep the receipt). If kbps are the consideration, just get a cheaper player with a larger drive and rip everything to wav. :) I'm more interested in the frequency response and the snr myself. ;)
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Well I'll just say I've observed this behavior with my laptop battery, and that's definitely a Lion.
ImageImage
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Well with ordering online, it really isn't that bad. I had the same fear with ordering online until I actually bought something online (my computer parts) and it was fine, no problems.

Have you ever ordered off the internet? I think that most of the time the prices are so much better online even with the shipping included. Give it a try, it really opens up your shopping window, just use sites like www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com They are really reputable sites.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

im not scared of it.. sorta. its just that even if i had like $999999999999, my dad wouldnt order onlnine, something about his credit... i dont know.
and since im not old enough to have a credit card... that closes my shopping window
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

...yeah i know the feeling about ordering online....

^^ Creative Labs Rules !!! :!: :!:
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

funny thing is i was asking for advice on something up to $150 and i dont have to order online, and all of the replies were either over $150, or they were online...
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

kk...this is kinda OT...but u kno that site... freeipods.com ...is it legit?
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD

this is a dead subject. do not revive dead subjects EVER ...

wow i sound like a mod
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

*Removed for the better*
Last edited by kalan_vod on Tue 18 Oct, 2005 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.