A new cpu, and by suprise a new vidcard

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

that 95kb game is awsome.... I ran it at 55 FPS too....sad I didnt get any more than 55...
Life is getting better.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Sad!? I'd give everything to get that!
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Yeah really cool game, I could only play it at about 22 FPS, only have a 1.4 GHz Athlon. I'll have to try it at school... 8)
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

I wish i'd run more smooth on my laptop. I'm not saying that it sucks or anything but compression at the cost of performance? Doesn't tickle my fancy.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

It's not necessarily compression, it's mathematical generation instead of prerendered textures and audio data (which easily add up and fill up cds as you see in games these days). And considering it's an actual game in such *small* amount of code, that they spent years on, I'm suprised it runs as fast as it does on my computer.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

currahee wrote:I wish i'd run more smooth on my laptop. I'm not saying that it sucks or anything but compression at the cost of performance? Doesn't tickle my fancy.
Not even remotely getting the point, are you? Funnily, I always had the impression that all these productions with severe size constraints (at least a lot of 64k and smaller intros) show off much more creativity in general than those where you can waste resources no end.
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

All of the in game and open cenamatics are all mathically generated...wow!! So that is why it runs so slow on my pc. I'm getting a Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 Ghz will that be enough to play it nicely with my MX 4000 or will it still be painly slow?
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

As far as I know the MX series doesn't have any pixel shading, and .kkrieger HAS to have pixel shading to run, otherwise it'll quit on the loading screen. In the very least though, you won't know until you try.. :P
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

DarkAuron wrote:As far as I know the MX series doesn't have any pixel shading, and .kkrieger HAS to have pixel shading to run, otherwise it'll quit on the loading screen. In the very least though, you won't know until you try.. :P
when i get my laptop back i will try it, i cant wait :D!
also, DA i Like your avatar
Kerey

Post by Kerey »

You crazy Europeans and your "demo scene." I'm more of a gameplay guy myself, viewing graphics as a mere means of supporting the underlying game, hence my not buying Doom3. Still, those demos are pretty cool, even though I've never done more than look at screenshots.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Err, my not buying Doom 3 has more to do with it's only so-so multiplayer thingy for online play. Meaning, if I have a version that's good for single player and LAN's only, that's fine by me. ;)
bananas... o.o
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Well maybe I'll try to borrow this FX in this compy to see how it plays :D