How do you envision your self for the rest of your life?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

How do you envision your self for the rest of your life?

Post by Kozak »

This thread is specifically aimed at the job you will be doing for the rest of your life. At my age 18-19 I have to choose what I want to be for the rest of my life. I have been studying biology for 2 years but now I am kind of in a crisis, actually have been for 1 year.
I started with biology since I wanted to start my biotechnology firm. After some months I found out that I didn't like biotech at all so my view shifted to medical biology. I found the theory to be interesting but the work (doing research) extremely boring. Now I am more interested in neurobiology but the research there is also kinda boring.
This is the crisis I am in right now. The theory is interesting but the work I will perform is boring as hell. And especially the broad theory interests me, I am afraid the really specific theory might bore me aswell. So now I might have to find another education.
I could also become a doctor. Problem with that is that there is less chance to discover new things. Less challenging perhaps, but the job seems more interesting. Also the paycheck can be twice or three times (100,000+ per year) as much as the biologist I could become. But I also don't know how important paycheck should be in jobchoice.

Any comments and your view to how your life will look would be nice.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I never plan anything in advance. Things always turn upside down year after year, so it's impossible to tell what I'll be doing even in a few months' time. As my knowledge widens and as I'm getting to know new faces my prospects/interests keep changing all the time.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Re: How do you envision your self for the rest of your life?

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

Kozak wrote:Also the paycheck can be twice or three times (100,000+ per year) as much as the biologist I could become.

Any comments and your view to how your life will look would be nice.
100,000+ PER YEAR????
/me starts studing biology.

as for myself I will be a programmer
Life is getting better.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

When I started my study I was aiming for programmer, since it's my hobby and all... but then I discovered that programming something you don't really want to program can be boring as hell... so I switched, and now do functional maintance work of some security applications. You could say that I am intemediar between usergroup and the programmers... it's kind of fun :)

As tip; If you have work, and you really like it, don't try to stay there forever... you should always change your 'work' every 2-3 years to get a broad view. With work I mean the function you fullfill in a company... of course you need to work for a huge company to have the possibilities
tokijnct

Post by tokijnct »

When I started my study I was aiming for programmer, since it's my hobby and all...
Me too :)

Now, I'm thinking of doing some medical field as my primary focus :roll:
Projects:
Phantasy Star Dark Millenia - Put aside for the moment...

UnitedTI BASIC Competition
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

I've never considered programming boring, not even the programs we had to do in comp.sci. class (write a hanoi towers program? :x )
just try to be nice to people.

Post by Spengo »

I am going to program videogames. :twisted: In 10 years, you will ph34r SpengoVision software. At least, that's the path I intend to launch myself on.
bananas... o.o
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I'm with you Kozak... I've got a few choices to make myself. I started Computer Science two years ago because it had my interest, and I have discovered that I really enjoy that field, so that's not my problem. I haven't got the faintest idea to what I'll be doing when I finish cs though, and that's starting to become a problem as I'll have to choose a minor and some free cources not too long from now. I've always made decisions in my life based on my gut feeling (choosing my highschool, even choosing for this university and cs), and they turned out to be quite alright, but I feel I need to look ahead a bit more this time.

I've never done anything but keeping open all my options in the past, and not choosing a very specific direction, like I'll have to do now. So I too have to figure out what it really is I want to do for a living in the future. I think I know how I want to work (in relatively small projects with a varying group of people), but I haven't got the faintest clue as to what I want to be doing in those projects. Making decisions is tuff :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

I'm planning to become a programmer too. Next year i'm switching to Computer Science (i'm in Commerce atm) and when i graduate from highschool i'll probably go to college/uni to get a Bachelor/Master in Computer Science. After that, i dont know yet for sure, me and gimpynerd have discussed starting a games company, so maybe i'll do that, but i'm not sure yet. We'll see what the future brings. I'm not even 16 yet so i shouldn't really be worrying...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I was planning to be a programmer until I started programming Javascript, I found it so hard that I gave up then now I decided I would do programming in my hobbies while working somewhere.
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

I plan to be probably a computer or software engineer. I like putting stuff together, and I enjoy solving a complex problem or two. I got one problem though...my math teacher is really shotty. Out of the 17-19 kids in our class 11 have Fs. See is the worst teacher I have ever had. This semester is way harder, and since she sucks at teaching, the grades have gone done for everybody. I am holding on to my C...but that is the thing, Cs arent good in math, when you wanna go into a field that involves a fair amount of math knowledge. But hey, it isn't the grades that make the person, it is the person that makes a person. :)

I plan to code on the side...lately video game dvlpmnt has really looked better and better to me. I may look more into that.
The Revolution is here...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I think I'd like to work with both computer hardware and software. A friend and I are considering repairing computers and doing hardware instllation this summer, and I think I would also like to do programming of some sort as a career.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Drak Dragon
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Drak Dragon »

Frankly, the job i will be doing for the rest of my life is nothign more than software designer, seeing how i've already got the job :)
----
Drak
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

I also feel what you're going through, Kozak. I'm doing a Bachelor in Computer Science which I'll finish in one or 1,5 years. I think that the field is quite interesting, and I enjoy programming from time to time. The problem is: I like programming as a hobby: being able to program what I like to, and being able to stop whenever I like. So, I dont want to be a programmer: I would be bored quite quickly. But I found also out that some programming classes are extremely boring, especially the high-level project modelling stuff: so being a high-level project manager is not quite my thing either. So what do I want to do after my bachelor? I dont have the slightest idea. I'm going to finish my Bachelor and postpone that decision until then :)
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Since I was 11 I've geared myself toward a game programmer, although lately I've decided I want to minor in some kind of art.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194