bosses

Moderator: tr1p1ea

Shawshank87

bosses

Post by Shawshank87 »

everything seems to be coming together very nicely. great job so far guys. i can't help but wonder about the bosses, though. a crucial part of every metroid is the huge bosses. with external level sets (i assume you plan on releasing an editor, maybe i am wrong in doing so) i can't imagine how new bosses could be created. do you plan on recycling bosses (after making a set few) for every set or are you going to come up with a method of "boss editing." hell, you may not even put bosses in at all. i'm just curious. thanks, and continue the great work guys.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I dont know if there will be a level editor released ... but i do remember seeing some test gfx with a boss in it. So i think we can be confident there will in fact be bosses :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Where'd you see these graphics? :D
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Cyan
Maxcoderz Staff

Umm.... about that boss...

Post by Cyan »

Yeah, umm... Kraid. That big thing? Yeah... not quite possible on the poor processor of the Ti-83/+. We (meaning Joe and I) decided that a 5 (maybe more) screen tall boss would just be too much. Tile wise, that would add another near 140 tiles (not including the animated ones). Thats just too much. However, a smaller version might be made (maybe 1-2 screens tall). But, again, we'll see. One step at a time, one step at a time....
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

The size of metroid right now is about 11kb or so, right?
MODS

Re: Umm.... about that boss...

Post by MODS »

Cyan wrote:Yeah, umm... Kraid. That big thing? Yeah... not quite possible on the poor processor of the Ti-83/+. We (meaning Joe and I) decided that a 5 (maybe more) screen tall boss would just be too much. Tile wise, that would add another near 140 tiles (not including the animated ones). Thats just too much. However, a smaller version might be made (maybe 1-2 screens tall). But, again, we'll see. One step at a time, one step at a time....
If I'm not mistaken Kraid was only two screens tall in Metroid Zero Mission... and 2 screens wide.
---===::\/enIgmA\/::===---
Cyan
Maxcoderz Staff

true...

Post by Cyan »

...Yes... true... only about 2 by 2 screens. BUT that was when Samus was only about 1/7th the size of the screen... not 1/3rd... small doesn't always mean smaller... or, maybe it does and I just don't like th believe it... oh shoot... I lost myself... :roll:
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Too bad... that Kraid looked f*ing awesome.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

We're dealing with a much smaller screen resolution though, so Zero Mission's size isn't really that relative. The size of Kraid was also about the same in Super Metroid.

Last week I got Zero Mission, and beat it a few days ago. Some places in the game are very similar to the original metroid. The ending is quite different (and very hard) though. (that's as much of a spoiler I'm giving :twisted:)
MODS

Re: true...

Post by MODS »

Cyan wrote:...Yes... true... only about 2 by 2 screens. BUT that was when Samus was only about 1/7th the size of the screen... not 1/3rd... small doesn't always mean smaller... or, maybe it does and I just don't like th believe it... oh shoot... I lost myself... :roll:
Just make him two screens by two screens. and everyone will be happy! :D

DarkAuron wrote:We're dealing with a much smaller screen resolution though, so Zero Mission's size isn't really that relative. The size of Kraid was also about the same in Super Metroid.

Last week I got Zero Mission, and beat it a few days ago. Some places in the game are very similar to the original metroid. The ending is quite different (and very hard) though. (that's as much of a spoiler I'm giving :twisted: )
It's similar b/c it a remake of the first Metroid...
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: true...

Post by DarkAuron »

MODS wrote:Just make him two screens by two screens. and everyone will be happy! :D
I think if Kraid were at least as big as the screen, that'd be good enough.
MODS wrote:It's similar b/c it a remake of the first Metroid...
Yeah but theres a lot of enhancements and more involvement with chozo lore. Also upgrades from the other metroids are in this, so even if a remake, it's an enhanced remake. But still good. And then after you beat it, you unlock the original to play. Fun stuff :)
SenorPhrog

Post by SenorPhrog »

I certainly don't see why you couldn't have a 2-screen-high boss...that seems an appropriate size, really. The Kraid mockup you did earlier was awesome, but it looked to be a pretty much straight conversion of the much-higher-rez Kraid of Super Metroid. If you find you are indeed able to make two-screen-high bosses, I imagine you could create a smaller series of Kraid tiles that'd be just as impressive, if not so taxingly huge. Frankly I don't have really high hopes for bosses in this game...thinking on a level of the original Metroid, those bosses were relatively teeny, because that's all that system could really handle at the time, too. Kraid was only slightly larger than Samus. I'd love to see a room-filling Kraid, but that'd be an entirely different kind of fight. Whatever you folks can pull off in terms of bosses should suffice, even if they aren't enormous buggers.
tokijnct

Post by tokijnct »

If all not Kraid then how about Ridley? He/she/it could could probably fit on one screen maybe.
SenorPhrog

Post by SenorPhrog »

I think Ridley's fight would actually be cooler using a sprite not too much larger than Samus, like in the original Metroid. Ridley is supposed to be the quicker and more vicious of the two bosses, having wings and looking generally draconian, so I think it'd be cool and offer more of a fight if he were flying around the screen rather than looming over it. Kraid, though, seems like a prime candidate for a multi-screen boss...two screens should suffice, though. :D
MODS

Post by MODS »

SenorPhrog wrote:Kraid, though, seems like a prime candidate for a multi-screen boss...two screens should suffice, though. :D
OR! They could make it appear like he's two screens tall like draw half of him on one screen but Samus can only move on that one screen... See what I'm getting at. It'll have the illusion that Kraid is 2 screens tall but in reality he won't be. So it saves space, speed, AND makes everyone happy! Oh and if Samus happens to fall off the side into Kraid then she'll get forced back up because of the damage she recieves from Kraid. Like when she gets hit she bounces back...