TI-83+ sound recorder

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

ssartell

TI-83+ sound recorder

Post by ssartell »

So I made something pretty useless but kinda cool. My cellphone headset is 2.5mm which is the same size as the linkport so I wrote a quick program that can record and playback a second or two of sound. The quality is horrible and you have to be pretty loud (try just making loud OOOO noises) for it to pick up on my headset, but it works!

The controls work like so:
Up: records
Down: plays back current recording
Clear: exits

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ssartell/RECO ... niq=anvqiv

I'm sure if I spent more time I could get better quality out of it, but eh...
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

That's cool, I had thought of that at one point, but I figured I could only save a couple of seconds of audio.
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

If you combine this with a usb drive in the mini usb port and what you have now on the linkport, you could probably make something really awesome, though it is pretty awesome now!
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

three fingered guy, do you mean like a usb jump drive? cause i had thought about something similar to that a while back.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, there was someone a little while ago who played a scene from the matrix on the calc from a flash drive. it may be possible
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
ssartell

Post by ssartell »

By the way, if you're trying this (which you should try at your own risk) the tip takes the mic signal and the ring sends the speaker signal (from what I gathered and it does work on mine). If it doesn't work, your phone might be switched around or something. I think I could get a better quality recording if I amplified the mic signal. Those little dynamic (I think thats what mine is) microphones don't send much of a signal down the line. If I amplified it, the linkport would pick up a better signal and then I wouldn't have to scream into the mic to pic up sound. The quality would still be crap, but it might work. I don't think I'll actually be doing this cause it'd probably me more work than I'm willing to put in to it, but it's an idea.

I would be very worried about hooking up my flash drive to my TI... I don't think I would be the one brave enough to take on that endeavor at the risk of my flash drive. I'm sure the drive needs a certain amount of voltage to work too so you'd probably be strapping a battery to it in order for this project to go anywhere.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

USB uses 5V. The USB port on the calc provides 5V. It's more an amperage problem. The USB port on the calc seems to provide roughly 100mA. Any device that uses 100mA or less will work just fine.
ImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

What about a USB drive with its own power (like my mp3 player)?

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

You should have no problems with that, assuming it ONLY shows itself as a USB Mass Storage Device (not a composite device), and that it is internally formatted (or presents itself) as FAT32.
ImageImage
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

No no...NOT FAT32. They only wrote the drivers for regular FAT - MV never finished the FAT32 driver.
Image Image Image
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Oh well hell good luck finding anything bigger than 512MB formatted FAT16. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if 512 and 256 ones are FAT32 as well... Probably not, but .... Something to watch out for. Note that FAT16 has a maximum partition size of 4GiB, so any device larger than that is right out.
ImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Too bad, mine's FAT32... it does read as a generic mass storage device though, so if someone gets a FAT32 driver...

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

AndySoft wrote:Oh well hell good luck finding anything bigger than 512MB formatted FAT16. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if 512 and 256 ones are FAT32 as well... Probably not, but .... Something to watch out for. Note that FAT16 has a maximum partition size of 4GiB, so any device larger than that is right out.
I was under the impresion that MV's driver was limit to 32 mb.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Well, it might be. I'm just saying if it's only FAT16, then there are definite limits in the filesystem. :)
ImageImage