Faster language than BASIC

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

assembly rocks!!!!! i just wish I could get things to compile so I could continue learning. Otherwise it's TIGCC from here out.
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Liazon wrote:assembly rocks!!!!! i just wish I could get things to compile so I could continue learning. Otherwise it's TIGCC from here out.

try downloading "Assembly Programming Basics" from ticalc.org

It includes all the stuff you need to assemble, all set up, with some instructions on programming included as well.
Spellshaper

Post by Spellshaper »

Well, there are those persons out there (like me) that don't get along well with Asm...

FastRPL is good, but damn big oncalc >_<

I personally like using BASIC for its stableness... add the gorgeous App xLib to the mix, and that's it ^_^
PSYCALYPSE
Nigecha dame da!
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

For Assembly just use Spencer's Assember and Wabbitsign from revsoft.org and get tasm80.tab and ti83plus.inc from somewhere.
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

Question: what is the best compiler in your opinion? I'm learning asm and i want to use the best possible software.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Well the 2 newest currently in development assemblers are BRASS and SPASM.

Brasshas been consider n00b friendly. With a robust number of directives and extreme amount of documentation. Its also a cross linker as well, It handles most TI formats. However it also suffer from a lack of speed, as Ben said likely 6x times slower than tasm. When it comes time to debug this can be a real problem.

Spasmwas written with the complete opposite in mind of brass, it was meant for coders that have to debug often and have projects that are larger in size. It is not n00b friendly and it doesn't have a lot of documentation, It's reliant on the coders experience. It sports minimalist functions which with the use of a creative macro system(near scripting really) can expand on many things. The sole goal however has and always will be speed. So far it's pretty much considered instant assembly compared tasm.

Tasmis the de facto standard. The majority use it, and almost all guides written are written with it in mind. It suffers many problems and bugs and has forced App coders to build on a very hackish way. However the typical coder won't suffer from most of its problems.

Zilog Development Studiois a combination IDE and assembler. It is TIs choice for assemblers and there documentation is written for it. It has several annoyances that asm coders usually don't like, but it does do the job. Really you should only use it when you want to do a *professional* job.

SPASM, TASM, ZDS lack a built in linker to convert binary and hex files in to program files for the calculators. If you are going to use one of them I suggest Wabbitsign, It can export to all z80 calcs and also create applications, So far only Ti's weak tools and Ben Moody's linux signer can do that.

Best thing I can say is to use the right tool for the job, if you need speed go with spasm, if you need functionality go with brass, if you need a *professional* job go with ZDS, other wise tasm will suffice for most projects.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

What is "a *professional* job" in this context? :P

Personally, I'd advise anyone who likes to work in style 8) to give Latenite a try. It's an IDE that's still under development, but its current version is really pretty good. It uses Brass for compilation, has syntax highlighting and a "build and run" button that compiles your source and automatically runs it in PindurTi (calc emulator). And the best part is that these three things come in one neat package, together with all the necessary includes, so you don't have to search for bits and pieces of your IDE all over the Internet :)

The only downside of Latenite, in my opinion, is that you need to have the .NET framework installed. But you can download that for free from the Microsoft website if I'm not mistaken, so that shouldn't really hold you back. Another one could be Brass's lack of speed, but that has never really bothered me tbh.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
threefingeredguy
Calc King

I didn't like Latenite much, not sure why now. But I did like the fact that I ran such a nice shiny IDE off of my jumpdrive.
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

Thank you so much for the help. I will give Latenite a try =)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

threefingeredguy wrote:I didn't like Latenite much, not sure why now. But I did like the fact that I ran such a nice shiny IDE off of my jumpdrive.
Hmm, I guess great minds think alike(or maybe just great spammers :lol: ). I was also running latenite off of my flash drive, but I had some difficulty setting up programs correctly for it. Of course, that was months ago when it was a little more new.

Maybe when I get back to continuing with my asm lessons, I'll try it out again. I know that it's a lot better than the notepad I'm currently using.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

The IDE is nicer than notepad, but I like the other assemblers. Maybe I will combine them.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

There's no reason why you can't use Latenite and <other assembler of choice>. In fact, the earlier builds used TASM. All you need to do is convert the output from another assembler to an XML file that Latenite can read back to display error messages.
Brass just makes life easier as it has integrated Latenite XML log support.
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

threefingeredguy wrote:Ah, I see.

Right, the language I was talking about that is cross platform is Fast RPL and also another I cant remember at the moment. They had great demos, I think I might download them.
The other one is MLC, but an interpreter only exists for the Casio AFX and the 86. I think there is one being worked on for HP, but I'm not sure. Also, bfr is working on one for the 83/84 but it's on hold right now.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Is there a basic IDE available? That's been bugging me for eternity...
I'd still use basic, but I can't stand writing it on-calc! Such a pain in the ass.
Oh, and I'm using OSX, so most of the ones you suggest probably won't even run. :)
I think, therefore iMac
Saibot84

Post by Saibot84 »

Image I'm sorry, I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone given any thought to TIPower Gold? I believe it was on ticalc.../me goes and searches... /me finds what he was looking for... http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 29467.html ... IIRC, it had it's own BASIC-style language, but I haven't used it in a VERY long time, I had just DLed it, gave it a look over, disliked it, looked at the built-in asm routines, and uninstalled it, keeping the zip in case I might ever need some of its asm routines. ;)