Monopoly

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Monopoly

Post by benryves »

It's looking grand. :-) Watching the screenshots is slightly odd to an Englishman, though; would you consider the possibility of different boards for different regions?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Of course, it's just a matter of changing the property texts/a couple chance cards, and all that information is available online. Wikipedia has the boards for a large number of languages :) I've always planned at least US/UK versions, but i think a French (well, a French version and Quebecois version, maybe even a Belgian version), Spanish, and German version could be possible, too, though it'd require a slight adjustment to the text-routine for the accents.

Thanks, btw :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

benryves, how's this look? I was in the middle of debugging the properties menu (viewing owned property, buying houses/hotels, etc.) so that's why everything is owned by player one. I haven't finished entering all the properties yet (just half the board), but just to make sure, i'm using this board as a reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_(game)#UK_version
Is it the same one you're used to?

EDIT: Oh, and currently the player pieces are selected randomly (and the limit to the number of possible players is only limited by the saferam i've got left, i think 8 would be a good maximum just in case you wanted a lot of computer players or something), so that's why there are two ships.
Attachments
UK version
UK version
monopoly.gif (166.9 KiB) Viewed 18216 times
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Thanks, that looks great. :-) "Luxury Tax" is replaced by "Super Tax" and we use £ rather than $, but I don't know how easy those would be to change.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

That's also not a big problem, it's just a matter of changing the sprites :) It now compiles two different versions, a US and a UK one. I guess i could try adding support for external boards, but i'm not sure if it'd really be worth it.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I just finished typing up the rest of the properties and changed the LUXury TAX to SUPer TAX and drew a somewhat legible pound character (suggestions welcome!). Here's a screenshot, at the start you can see the Super Tax tile (a rather boring tile), then the pound character in the stats screen, and finally a little sample of what i've been doing with the menu routine (a huge overhaul), which now supports textboxes of any size :)

UPDATE: Whoops, looks like there's a bug somewhere drawing the drooping letters (g, j, p, q, and y), it looks like i'm erasing over that line. Piccadilly looks like Piccadillu ;)
Attachments
UK version
UK version
screenshot001.gif (137.9 KiB) Viewed 18128 times
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

The pound sign looks perfect to me. :-) Keep up the great work!
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

I decided to visit the forum after remembering this community that I was so fond of almost EIGHT years ago (I think it may have been even longer, almost 10?!)

Seeing your screenshots gave me a huge hit of nostalgia. Keep up the good work!
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Thanks, both of you! Also, glad to see you around ISUCK :D The same thing happened to me (the nostalgia), hence the rewrite of Monopoly! Though things here have certainly slowed down quite a bit lately, but like you people check in from time to time and it's always nice to refind old friends/acquaintances :)