Looking for linking software that supports apps

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Looking for linking software that supports apps

Post by benryves »

This is starting to get me a little annoyed. :P I'd like to test BBC BASIC on my calculator, but TiLP usually only gets half way through installing the app before crashing, so I've built a serial cable and am now looking for software that supports the "black link" and can install apps.

So far;
  • FastLink works perfectly and very fast, but doesn't support sending Flash apps.
  • TI Connect hunts around, correctly spots the calculator on COM2, then crashes.
  • TiLP can't see the calculator at all.
  • TI-GRAPHLINK (desperation sets in) can't open the COM port.
Any ideas?

Edit: I should probably mention that things like TI-Connect crashing don't seem to be the fault of my calculator or the link cable as I can unplug both from the computer, run the software, hit the cancel button on the "Select TI Device" window and it crashes anyway.
Deeph

Re: Looking for linking software that supports apps

Post by Deeph »

WTran8x works fine with my serial cable :)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Does it send apps, though? (I've never got it to work, with a parallel cable or black link).
Deeph

Post by Deeph »

Yes, but you have to put your calculator in receive state before send things.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Running CalcSys in "port monitor" mode on the calculator and clicking on any button in WTran8x that should send a variable shows absolutely no change on the data port. Maybe it (being an ancient old Windows 3.1-style 16-bit app) just doesn't work on NT?
Deeph

Post by Deeph »

I use it under Windows XP and it works fine.

Just be sure to do this : Settings > Detect Adress; Then set Transfer delay to max and click "Save Options".

Now Xpander > Set Card Size to 24MB.

When you want to transfer something put your calculator in receive state and double click on files to transfer (also make sure to choose TI 83,83+).
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Settings - Detect Address brings up "No cable was detected! Make sure calculator is disc" in the status bar. That said, my COM2 port is at address 0xCCD0, not one listed in the dropdown box (and the parallel port at 0xCCD8, same difference).

I've tried this app on 2000, XP and now Vista, and never got it to work. Which version are you using? I have 4.1 here.
Deeph

Post by Deeph »

Same here, but I use it on my laptop and it really detect my serial port :?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Is the serial port built-in? Mine is on an expansion port. Normally software asks for it by name ("COM1" or "COM2") and that works fine. TI Connect detects the a "Black Cable TI-83+" calculator on COM2, and FastLink works fine. I'm really not sure why TiLP can't see it. :(

Maybe my calculator's worn out? (Bad sector in the flash?) That may explain why apps fail to send.

Thanks for all your help, anyway. :)
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I had a hell of a time getting TiLP to work with large files. Basically, it's like you said...it would get to maybe 80 or 90% and complain about a timeout (and that's even with the timeout maxed out). The bigger it was, the likely I'd have problems. It turned it to just be low batteries. Calc age might have contributed because the batteries actually weren't all that worn out. Just not-so-new. :no:
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I thought power may be the problem, as I've been using rechargable batteries (1.2*4=4.8V instead of 1.5*4=6V). I removed the batteries and hooked up the calculator to an external 6V PSU, same problem.

In my case the calculator jumps to the homescreen long before TiLP realises there's a problem, but I'm somewhat glad someone else has had the same issue as that indicates that the calculator may still be healthy.

When BBC BASIC was a 32KB application it would usually take five or six attempts to install it. Now it's a 48KB application I haven't succeeded to install it all.

Edit: I suppose the obvious answer is to buy a proper link cable, but I don't live in the USA which makes that sort of thing rather difficult.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

What versions of TILP(II)/TI-Connect have you tried? Have you given all the apps at http://www.ticalc.org/pub/win/link/ a try?

BrandonW might know something about getting it to work. I wonder if http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/linkman.zip can help out?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I've tried the latest versions of TiLP and TI Connect.
Cheers for the link!
ahudson

Post by ahudson »

I don't know much about other linking programs-TI Connect and TI Graph Link work fine with my cable and computer. I'd suggest buying a USB link cable. They're pretty cheap, and last I knew, they work fine with TI linking software. I hope it helps.

By the way, would you be able to put up the BBC Basic application for others to try? I've been quite interested in it and the progress it has made.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

ahudson wrote:I'd suggest buying a USB link cable. They're pretty cheap, and last I knew, they work fine with TI linking software. I hope it helps.
I don't live in the USA. That makes acquiring "official" link cables rather difficult. I bought my last one via a school supplier, but I'm nowhere near a school these days.
By the way, would you be able to put up the BBC Basic application for others to try? I've been quite interested in it and the progress it has made.
Once it has been checked over by the author, yes. :)

Cheers!