Help With Friend's Calculator that is screwed

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

b-flat

Help With Friend's Calculator that is screwed

Post by b-flat »

One of my good friends (Curious Onlooker on OTBP) messed up his calculator (I have it in my possession now, so that I can attempt to fix it).

When you turn the calculator on, immediately a RAM clear message is displayed, and the calculator turns off. However, you hold down the on button, the calculator does not turn off.

He says that he has tried everything (taking out back up battery, ON+Del with or without the batteries in, etc), and now referred to me.

Please give me some advise / help!

Thanks!
JoostinOnline

Re: Help With Friend's Calculator that is screwed

Post by JoostinOnline »

b-flat wrote: ON+Del with or without the batteries in
What do you mean, without the batteries? Instead of ON+Delete, just hold down delete, remove a battery, then re-insert it (all while holding Delete). This should bring up "Waiting for TI-OS" or somthing like that. Now send an OS from your computer or another calculator.
b-flat

Re: Help With Friend's Calculator that is screwed

Post by b-flat »

JoostinOnline wrote:
b-flat wrote: ON+Del with or without the batteries in
What do you mean, without the batteries? Instead of ON+Delete, just hold down delete, remove a battery, then re-insert it (all while holding Delete). This should bring up "Waiting for TI-OS" or somthing like that. Now send an OS from your computer or another calculator.
OK, thanks.

I thought that he had tried that, but he evidently didn't. I'm just going by what he told me.

I don't know if the problem will be solved by resending the OS, but at least the screen comes up.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It should, you might want to email the maker of the oncalc assembler. Make sure include if he had any hooks installed (noshell xlib omnicalc etc..).
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Else remove a battery, then put it while pressing ON+Clear instead. THis will hide all archived programs from the calcs, then you must reset the entire memory (Ram and archive)
ImageImageImageImage
calc84maniac

Post by calc84maniac »

kalan_vod wrote:It should, you might want to email the maker of the oncalc assembler. Make sure include if he had any hooks installed (noshell xlib omnicalc etc..).
What do I have to do with anything? :? Other than something like this happened to my first calc and I didn't know about the Del trick... :P
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

calc84maniac wrote:
kalan_vod wrote:It should, you might want to email the maker of the oncalc assembler. Make sure include if he had any hooks installed (noshell xlib omnicalc etc..).
What do I have to do with anything? :? Other than something like this happened to my first calc and I didn't know about the Del trick... :P
It may not be your fault, just wanted to send him in a direction or two.
b-flat

Post by b-flat »

Well, actually, OTBP assembler WAS related in the event, though everything is fine now.

The best that I can remember:
* was assembling a very simple program to simply display "RAM Cleared" (nothing special; homescreen only)
* there was an error at the very end of assembling (i.e. when one of the ASM routines was copying the code to a program), so he used GrpTool to try and get a new version of OTBP assembler, from the group.
* everything was messed up while using group tool (garbage, etc, was displayed)

I can't quite remember exactly when, but at some point, he used Omnicalc's RAM recovery feature and then, after all of this, at some point, the error occurred.

I'll post it in a more detailed fashion once I get more specific info.