Harry Potter : Hogwarts Quest

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

I don't think you'll need an app teacher. Apps are just nostub and different memory addressing. :) Read AppGuru if you have problems..
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:I don't think you'll need an app teacher. Apps are just nostub and different memory addressing. :) Read AppGuru if you have problems..
There's an APPGuru too? wow, but no. I must focus on writing ASM games, and not get side tracked all the time.... and not be ambivalent about whether to program z80 ASM or 68kC (I've kind of given up on Basic because I don't like tokenizing times)
Image Image Image
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

calcul831415 wrote: (I've kind of given up on Basic because I don't like tokenizing times)
But you don't mind the much longer assembling times?
just try to be nice to people.

Post by Liazon »

I didn't know Assembling takes longer than tokenizing? So far, all of the ASM programs I've made have assembled in a snap. The C takes about 10 seconds, so I guess your right for that language. I hope the time doesn't get worse if I try to write my RPG. I've got all the story set, I'm just deciding between two RPG systems
Image Image Image
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

Most of my TI-Basic programs tokenize in several seconds. Good luck getting an assembly program on a calculator and running in the same amount of time.

(and you have a Titanium, don't you? so your tokenize time should be even faster than mine)
just try to be nice to people.

Post by Liazon »

Ya I have an 89Ti, but I haven't taken your advice yet and split the game into parts for faster tokenizing.

Well give me an example of an Assembly program that takes forever to assemble.
Image Image Image
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Assembling or tokenizing speeds are so trivial. Neither, should affect which language you choose. I never had assembling speed issues. I can assemble an 8 page app in about 20 seconds. It depends on your computer and assembler.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

My comp:

Processor: Celeron 533 Mhz
RAM: 192 SDRAM

A little out dated, but at least it's better than my lil bro's comp

I'm really sorry 3FG! We should get back on topic.

Will this game just cover the events of HP book 1? It'd be really hard to make a good game that covered the first 6 books.
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

It's sort of a different story, taking place before book 5, but with some of the elements of book 6. Dumbledore and Sirius are still alive, for example, but Snape is a bad guy. And Voldemort of course. If you follow the book, the tasks are laid out TOO linearly.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Agreed, there's really no room to stretch. Now shhh! Keep the storyline secret from now on :) !
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

I can write an app... LOL currahee, that's a bit hard to do, because I already put a part of the storyline in this thread. I'll dig it up:

Voldemort and the Death Eaters have taken over Hogwarts with the help of the Slytherins (note, this game will be based mostly on the first few books, so Snape will be their leader, not Slughorn (who is Potions teacher & Headmaster of Slytherin (at the end of)/in the 6th book), but I may put him somewhere in the game too...). The day after Hogwarts has been taken over, Harry Potter awakes in a bed in a rented room in The Three Broomsticks, with Ron Weasley and Hermione (can't remember her surname atm) sitting next to the bed. As he seems to have a black-out from what happened the day before, they tell him what has happened, and they tell him that Hagrid, Dumbledore and a few other people have been captured. Of course, the group decides to go save them. First you can buy spells ... in Hogsmead, where you also meet other people who escaped the castle (and haven't been killed). (I'm thinking about putting some subquests in this town, that you have to complete either in the castle, or in the forest) Then, you go to Hogwarts, you have to save Hagrid on the grounds (locked in his house), and Sprout in the greenhouses. Then you can enter the castle itself, ... I really dont want to tell anymore, since I havent worked it out fully yet anyway. I hope this gives an idea of how the game'll be, and I hope you'll like it.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

the_unknown_one wrote:with Ron Weasley and Hermione (can't remember her surname atm)
Granger.

I'm still not sure of the advantages of an APP. I'll stick with programs for now because I'm sitll learning ASM.
Image Image Image
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Ah yes, thank you. Hermione Granger :) Sorry, I read the dutch books most because I'm Belgian, though I have the 5th and 6th books in English :) But I have SUCH a bad memory. Applications have bigger memory, but if you're just starting and making little progs, you don't need to make them into an app.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

the_unknown_one wrote:Hermione Granger
Ahhh, Emma Watson... :yes:
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Yea :lol: