Virus ate my memory

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I think it's just a coincidence.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

As ben told me on IRC :)
I think, therefore iMac
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Oh well, at least he didnt lose all of his RAM ... yet :).

All this talk about RAM makes me want to invest in some more, are prices good these days?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

here in europe it's about 40 euro for 512mb... so it's not that expensive :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I guess i should wait until i build my new machine, AM2 with DDR2 ftw.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

AndySoft wrote:Except 1) that would not affect the stick, it would affect the memory range, 2) that would not affect the BIOS, and 3) that's pretty hard to do as kernel memory is protected...
This is Windows we're talking about. Nothing is protected ;).
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

TheCaptain: No seriously...one should excercise the momory, otherwise it get's weak and you probably need momory aid of some sort
saltpepper: nothing worse than getting old and you momory starts dropping
TheCaptain: which reminds of a story I heard about some an old couple who were having breakfast at a nudist camp..
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:
AndySoft wrote:Except 1) that would not affect the stick, it would affect the memory range, 2) that would not affect the BIOS, and 3) that's pretty hard to do as kernel memory is protected...
This is Windows we're talking about. Nothing is protected ;).
Windows actually has some good ideas, they're just implemented ... less than ideally. However, memory protection is done well, other than buffer overflows left and right... You can't touch the kernel memory, at any rate, and as I said, it still wouldn't affect the BIOS's check or memtest86.
ImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Man i had the strangest problems with my pc. Last night one of my HDD's decided to go bye-bye's ... i was able to boot and stuff stills so it was alright. Today i managed to get it working again and my pc totally freaks with hundreds of windows errors, programs going buts ... half of my control panel busted and the clock sincerely thought that it was Jan 01, 1601!

Im told that is time 0.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

oh, is this like the last time your hard drive "Failed" and you lost SSB? :P Let's see, what did you claim then? Oh yeah,
tr1p1ea wrote:Guys,

I was on my machine about an hour ago and it kept pausing for a few seconds every few minutes or so. I got fed up and rebooted ... only to find out that booting took an abnormally long time. After looking around for things it came to my attention that 2 of my hdd's were not responding... I recalled them being recognised in POST, but after another restart the BIOS was unable to detect them. I tried them both in another machine and one of them started clunking, the other showed no signs of life at all.

Nothing i try will work, and i have worked with and recovered a lot of shonky hard-drives. I fear the worst, i fear they are dead.

Those drives contained a LOT of valuable information, movies, music, games, homework, and programming stuff. ALL of my programming stuff ... INCLUDING ALL OF MY CALC PROJECTS! I had the calc projects on one of the drives. It was also backed up on the other drive. I used to do periodic backups to cd, but since my burner packed it in a few months ago, i do not have an backups of .... thats right .... Smash Bros. I have managed to recover some older calc stuff, but not anything recent. I also lost some 3D modelling stuff ... luckily my homework is all backed up on my usb drive.

I almost feel sick. I have lost years worth of work ... It is really demotivating. I honestly dont know if i have it in my to start Smash Bros. all over again.

I am sorry guys, maybe i can rescue the drives still somehow. I will keep you posted.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

This is a different drive to the one which has my calc projects. The one which has SSB did actually fail, but i had backups ... of course.