SpyWare (Surf Sidekick) Remover

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

nepmarauder

SpyWare (Surf Sidekick) Remover

Post by nepmarauder »

Hey,

Somehow I got some sort of spyware, called Surf SideKick, on my computer. I tryed a few spyware removal programs, and they didn't work. Does anyone have an idea in how to delete it?
IT'S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

I've got some spyware that I can't remove too. I will post the name of it tomorow, since I can't remember it right now. Every time I launch my browser, Norton tells me I have this thing, and every day I "remove" it, just for it to come back the next day.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

SpywareQuake and SpyAxe are fake anti-spyware programs that can only be removed by deleting specific files or by using XoftSpy. XoftSpy is incredible, it removes everything bad. The only problem is that it costs 5 bucks. However, if you don't want to reformat and can't remove it any other way, it is worth it. Me? My computer was brand new, I just reformatted.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You will most likely need all the spyware removal tools you can get. AdAware, SpyBot, XoftSpy etc. Also HiJackThis is a great program too.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

Avast! is pretty good for antivirus
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Windows Defender - least intrusive and (IME) most reliable general-purpose anti-malware app.

Same reason as I value Avast! over AVG - less intrusive, less hassle.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

benryves wrote:Windows Defender - least intrusive and (IME) most reliable general-purpose anti-malware app.

Same reason as I value Avast! over AVG - less intrusive, less hassle.
I use windows defender also. It seems to work pretty well, and it's free.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

i hadn't used internet explorer in a long time so finally i decided to.
when i got on it spysheriff (fake antispyware) installed on my computer and blocked internet, screwed around my registry.
it kept asking me to install it because "you computer has been infected, and you need to download antispyware. windows will now automatically download and install antispyware software"

i never allowed it to install so it was easy to remove.

i fear what would have happened if i would have not been suspicious of a free antispyware program installing itself on my computer.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore! *hugs his mac*
The best thing to do is avoid the viruses in the first place. You should be careful about what you download, what you run, and pretty much everything. If something doesn't seem right, don't do it and research it first. Some of these viruses are impossible to remove without reinstalling everything.
I think, therefore iMac
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

anykey wrote:I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore! *hugs his mac*
The best thing to do is avoid the viruses in the first place. You should be careful about what you download, what you run, and pretty much everything. If something doesn't seem right, don't do it and research it first. Some of these viruses are impossible to remove without reinstalling everything.
macs can no longer claim that they are impervious to viruses, etc. Because they now use a much more common processor, and the OS hasn't had years of time to become battle hardened to viruses, it is actually more vulnerable now than windows. :P
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

No, not as much as you might think. Yes, they are more vulnerable than they once were, but they are still really safe. The operating system as a whole is still based on Unix, and you can't do things like editing system files without admin access. There's more than that, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
I think, therefore iMac
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

anykey wrote:No, not as much as you might think. Yes, they are more vulnerable than they once were, but they are still really safe. The operating system as a whole is still based on Unix, and you can't do things like editing system files without admin access. There's more than that, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
so, how do you know that it's secure if hackers haven't had much time to work on it. Up untill now, it was too much of a hassle to write viruses for a cpu that is used by a very small percentage of people. Now that the cpu is Intel's, viruses have started to pop out. I'm sure there are plenty more to come.

The Titanic was unsinkable. Look how that went.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore! *hugs his mac*
:lol: lol
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, great response to that new apple commercial. :lol:

I read that a few weeks ago. And it's true. Who wants to put the effort forward to write a virus only compatible with like 10% or so of the world's computers? However, now that it's easier, we may begin to see some.